𝗪𝗢𝗪𝗭𝗔!! Even with power and laundry powder/liquid costs included it's amazing to see the difference! Plus cloth is often far more effective at containing the messes!
I found it very interesting to see the difference in price across the disposable brands! But the same can be said for cloth.
Also, this only looks at the financial cost and not environmental benefits of switching to cloth (more to come on this).
I shall not admit how long I sat with my trusty spreadsheet, calculator and many browser windows open...love me a good spreadsheet session! 🤣
This conservative estimate is based on...
- New Zealand (NZD)
- a baby on the 50th centile (weight)
- the length of time that weight spends in each size (based on national weight chart) i.e. rapid growth at the start, slowing as they get older
- the number of nappies used per day at each size i.e. more as a newborn, less as they grow
- the largest disposable pack size (cheapest)
- nappies not nappy pants (more expensive)
- nappy use for 3yrs (many arent developmentally ready prior)
- the most common brands at major supermarkets/department stores